Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thing # 14

I've had a little experience with wikis signing up for special events at school, but that's all. I had no idea there were so many different things you could do. I enjoyed exploring and seeing the collaboration between teachers, students and parents. I thought the sites were organized and easy to read and follow. I could see some the different personalities coming out of the people who created the wikis. Some were very organized and structured and some had cartoons to add a little to their wiki. I loved the site where students set up book discussions about required text. Students can make posts about the novels they are reading in class. There are also games on the site students can play to reinforce skills learned in class. The teacher also made a section for must see T.V. or video that she felt related to class. I think this would be something my son could use in his high school honors classes. Vicki Davis' blog post on her first wiki was great. Her students made places on their wiki for other students to make posts about their projects and assignment. This quickly led to students creating links to other websites. They worked together to study, review and help each other on projects. I plan on revisiting this post again to help me get started next year. I loved looking at all the student projects that were displayed. I think this will not only keep students engaged in learning, but give them a sense of pride and ownership in their work. I was very impressed by the gowest wikispace. The third grade students had to have learn so much. I love how they used thinking maps. They were very specific using the timeline. I think one thing I learned by exploring is that wikis can be used for any grade level and any content. Teachers from k-12th can make a wiki to meet the needs of their classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment