Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thing # 7 b

I've got a little better at checking my reader and did delete a few subsriptions that I never read. I did find an article by Elona Hartjes that really hit home. The article titled My Web 2.0 Tool Kit for Struggling or Reluctant readers and Writers really makes you think. We know that at risk students have many factors that influence their lack of drive and success. Lack of support, learning disabilites, school is not valued at home and peer pressure are a few. Student may not spend time reading and writing outside the classroom because they don't feel confident. They do however read and write all the time by texting, emailing, using My Space and spending an average of 44.5 hours on line every week. The articles states that we should use this to our advantage to reach and motivate students. Students are comfortable working on line and are use to collaborating. So she created a 2.0 Toolkit for her students to use. I know from teaching for 19 years that we have to start at the level where the students are. Ms. Harjes uses Web 2.0 to motivate and engage her at risk students. Today our students are emersed in technology so we should use it to help them learn in and out of the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment