Monday, July 6, 2009

Thing # 18

I've had a little experience playing on You Tube because my children have shown me things th.ey had found. Then I would get on and before I knew it two hours had passed. You Tube is fun, but you have to watch out because there are some things you don't want to see and you especially don't want your children to see. The first thing I searched was TAKS because you know the importance of TAKS. I found a couple of fun videos made by high school students to music that is popular today. These might be fun to show in the classroom to give the students a little boost before the test. Then I searched for videos focusing on at risk students. This short video discussed research that show rewards don't work on at risk students because they have so many different issues hindering their success. The video gave ideas such as giving these student new and varied experiences. They need to have a stronger personal bond to their teachers and school so they can see value in themselves and their future. When I searched for a how to do something I looked at changing VHS to DVD. I know that may sound prehistoric to some of you! But I have tons of old VHS tapes from when I was in school and of my own children that I've been planning to switch to DVD and just haven't. Maybe I will now! When I searched for the last video for something fun I really had a hard time picking something because there is so much out there. I watched old I Love Lucy videos, scrapbooking videos and many more. I finally decided to pick one from the upcoming movie New Moon from my favorite book series. I love You Tube but, for use in the classroom I found Teacher Tube more useful. One thing that's great about Teacher Tube is that is safe for students to use. I found some great math videos that I think would be useful when teaching patterns, multiplication and division. These videos help put a picture in your head or pattern that helps students to really understand the process.

1 comment:

  1. The great part is the videos are already out there and you don't have to "reinvent the wheel." You can simply use what someone else has already posted! :)

    ReplyDelete